1912 - The name of the London association was changed to The London Association of Slate Merchants, Master Slaters and Tilers.
1930 - The name was changed for a third time to the London Association of Master Slaters and Tilers.During the Second World War, the Ministry of Works and Buildings (later Planning) enforced rigorous control over building materials and saw the creation of special Emergency Committees. These committees included those who dealt with slates and other roofing materials, for emergency works and damage caused by enemy action. The need to work with Government brought various industry groups together during this period.
17th November 1942 – A meeting was held at the Connaught Rooms in London, it was decided that eleven associations of manufacturers, representing clay and concrete tiles, English and Welsh slate quarries and roofing contractors, would form a joint committee called the National Pitched Roofing Council, to deal specifically with the interests of pitched roofing in the immediate post-war planning process, due to a stated Government preference for flat roofs at the time.
Mr E Hillson (Manchester Slate Co Ltd) and Mr C G Dobson (Hall & Co. of London) were the contractors’ representatives. The National Pitched Roofing Council was active under Mr Dobson’s chairmanship, in producing technical and training material, BSI codes of practice and product standards, and bursaries for architectural students supporting pitched roofing, the finance being provided by the eleven constituent associations.
1943 - It was decided that there would be benefits from bringing NASMS&T and LAMS & T together. The former already had regional groups but the latter remained as one region in the new National Federation of Roofing Contractors (NFRC), just fifty years after the original initiatives. Mr A K Davidson, Secretary of NASMS&T became the first National Secretary, based in Leeds, at offices which also dealt with the National Federation of Building Trades Employers (NFBTE).